Build your understanding of contracts and budgeting skills to give you the best chance of success in contract milking.
In partnership with Federated Farmers of New Zealand and DairyNZ
What is this course about?
- Building an understanding of how a contract works, including obligations and responsibilities for both parties
- Assessing the financial viability of a contract milking or VOSM position
- Knowing the top things that trip up contract milkers
- Ensuring you are making money out of contract milking
- How to assess different contract milking opportunities and make good decisions
- Understanding the value of independent advice when negotiating a contract and being self-employed
- Building awareness of issues and risks and how to manage and mitigate them
- Set yourself up for your future in the dairy sector
- Learn tools for good financial decision making
- Learn alongside and from other farmers
- Learn in a fun and informal environment
“I wouldn’t be where I am today without being able to budget and understand contracts.”
Aaron Passey – from contract milker to equity partner
You will be required to complete an assessment to demonstrate your learning. You must bring a laptop (ideally) or device to course days to access course materials, editable documents, and assessments.
This course includes 4 in-person workshops (10am to 3pm) and 2 online drop-in sessions. Note that for the courses below, the two online drop-in session dates are TBC.
- Ashburton (2 Feb, 16 Feb, 1 Mar, and 15 Mar)
- Gore (13 Feb, 27 Feb, 12 Mar, and 26 Mar)
- Whangarei (13 Feb, 27 Feb, 12 Mar, and 26 Mar)
- Feilding (Feb/Mar, dates TBC)
Complete the 10-minute course enrolment form. You’ll be required to upload a photo or digital copy of suitable identification (passport, work visa, or birth certificate). You can save the form mid-way if you wish to continue later.
Register your interest
If the current course dates and locations do not work for you, then let us know. We’ll get in touch when something becomes available.
Cost (inc GST)
Who is it for?
Dates / Duration
- Short course (4 in-person workshops and 2 online drop-in sessions)
- Held from 10am to 3pm
- Limited numbers